Monday, May 05, 2014

Meet the Designer: Amy Singer!

Amy Singer is coming to Denver! Not only is Amy the editor of Knitty.com, but she is also the publisher and founder of the magazine. In 2002, she was daydreaming about an online magazine that would highlight all the knitting talent that had been popping up. Knitty.com is the perfect place! We are thrilled to host a class on May 10th where she will discuss the following: what makes a pattern stand out among the hundreds submitted to Knitty every year, what makes a good pattern, pattern-writing techniques that make a difference, what makes a pattern go viral, the five things you can do to ensure you have the best possible chance of being published, and the five things you can do that will blow it for you. This is one you won't want to miss! Call to reserve your spot today!
Let's meet Amy!


1) How did you get started in the knitting industry? What is your background?
I was a proofreader in advertising, losing my mind with the boredom of proofing financial documents. So I decided that I would get some experience on my resume as an editor by starting my own magazine in 2002. I didn't realize the person that would eventually hire me was ME -- in 2006, when I finally got to hang up my red pen!



2)What are you most excited about knitting or spinning right now?
We're all really excited about craft crossover...when crochet bleeds into knitting which melds with quilting and embroidery and all gets wrapped up in photography. It's not just about one thing any more...every craft enhances and inspires the others.

3) You run one of the most successful online knitting publications that has been around for over 10 years. What are some current trends in knitting? Both in terms of patterns but also yarn?
Watching people like Clara Parkes and Jill Draper create beautiful, functional yarn from the sheep up is really exciting. Their passion for the finished product and knowledge of every aspect of yarn production shows in the skein.

4) What is your favorite mythological animal?
I wish I had a Panserbjorn. Everyone needs an Armoured Bear.


5) If you could have any super power, what would it be?
I wish I had a Tardis (but without the responsibilities of being the Doctor). My friends live all over the world. I would love to just pop in for tea when I missed them. Or pick them all up and take them to tea with Jane Austen. Denny and Jillian would love that!

Thanks Amy! We're excited for your visit!

3 comments:

Aunt Marti said...

Is it too early on Monday, or am I missing where the date for Amy's visit is posted?

Fancy Tiger Crafts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fancy Tiger Crafts said...

Hi Marti - The class is May 10th from 2-5pm! It's going to be a great class!