Friday, May 02, 2014

Caitlin's Gnome-tastic Trail Jacket!

--Caitlin

I love when we get trunk shows here at the shop because it gives me a chance to try on samples before I fully commit to knitting them. When I tried on the Trail Jacket, designed by Hannah Fettig and published in her book "Knitbot Essentials", I knew it would be a wardrobe staple and I couldn't wait to knit it up! And, of course, the lovely hand of Quince & Co's Osprey yarn sealed the deal. Another win for Quince!



 Pattern: Trail Jacket by Hannah Fettig
Materials: 5 skeins Quince & Co. Osprey in Honey
5 large wooden buttons
Size 10.5 needles
Size Made: Medium
Alterations: none!


I ended up making a Size Medium because I wanted a bit of negative ease instead of the positive ease the pattern suggests. It worked out, but next time (yes, I think I NEED a navy blue sweater) I will add a few extra inches to the body.  



The Trail Jacket knit up quickly on size 10.5 needles. The pattern is so straight forward and I loved that the button band was knit along with the sweater instead of picking up stitches later on. It's even knit top-down so you can try it on as you go. My only hiccup came when it was time to pick up for the neck band, but I'm pretty sure it was my perfectionism taking over and in no way a reflection on the pattern itself.



I love my cozy new sweater! Osprey is definitely one of the softest wools I've ever knit with and worn! The 3/4 length sleeves make it easy to wear without over-heating and I know it will be in full rotation for Fall, Winter, and Spring.  


Big thanks to The Gnome's Nook Confectioners for our photo location and my new gnome pals! I think those gnomes could probably teach me a thing or two about knitting. Did you know they're really into handcrafts?!

No comments: