Thursday, August 11, 2011

Amber's Aestlight Shawl


A souvenir from my Iceland trip last fall, this Loðband Einband (Icelandic laceweight) yarn is naturally dyed by botanist and native dye expert, Guðrún Bjarnadóttir. I love the colors--soft teals and pale yellow-green undertones, achieved by the use of reindeer moss and indigo.

I knew I had to find the perfect project for this special yarn and for months it sat in a stunning skein while I contemplated.


...And then I found another Gudrun with the answer! The Aestlight shawl by Gudrun Johnston is oh-so-pretty. It is knit with traditional Shetland lace techniques and is simple and fun to knit. I've just finished knitting it up in my Icelandic laceweight and I love it.

Now, if only I could wrap my self up in this woolly shawl and return for a visit to Iceland...or perhaps a trip to the Shetland Isles...


If you would like to make this shawl, but don't have a skein of Guðrún's Icelandic lace, you might come take a look at the new Isager Spinni, a similar Danish laceweight that we carry in the prettiest palette! Happy knitting!

1 comment:

Karen said...

What a stunning shawl, Amber! Awesome job. :)