Thursday, October 03, 2013

Lola Sew-a-long!

Amber and I just took a trip to Cozy Town in our new Lola dresses! Lola is a pattern from Kristiann of Victory patterns! This pattern is written for comfy fleece or french terry jersey - so perfect for the cool weather that's moving in. Winter is coming, you guys, and we're ready.


Lola seemed intimidating at first - it was more pieces than I've ever put together in a stretchy fabric and my first time working with a thicker fleece. It came together surprising quick and easy. I'm always reminded of how forgiving and wonderful working with jersey is. Easing sleeves and matching seams is a cinch when your fabric has some stretch to it!


This pattern is made to be sewn on a serger so it is extra quick - seams come together at the same time that they are finished! We only used our sewing machines a couple of times to hem the top of the pockets and add the triangle detail at the top. Speaking of pockets....dresses with large pockets are the best!


I choose to use our Hemp/Organic Cotton Fleece in a pale pale green color. The fabric is super soft on the inside and so warm and cozy! I had to finagle the pattern a bit for fit as I fell into two different sizes for my bust and hips (a common occurrence). The results worked out great and the stretch of the fabric means extra room. We don't carry the ribbing fabric that Kristiann calls for to finished the cuffs, neck and hem, so Amber and I just used the fleece in the same manner and it worked out great.


Amber choose to use a geometric print fleece fabric that is limited edition so act quick if you want to be a twinsie with her! The grey on black print looks bold and will perfect for a cold winter's day. Snow will arrive tomorrow here in Colorado so it's time to sew some cozy garments!


7 comments:

Black Dog Mental Health said...

I love this! Where can we get the pattern?

Kate said...

CUTE! We've been thinking of doing this pattern as a class in our shop, and after seeing yours I DEFINITELY need to make one for myself.

Fancy Tiger Crafts said...

Thanks guys! Renee, if you live in Denver you can get it here at the shop or from Kristiann at http://www.victorypatterns.com/

Raphaele said...

Thanks for this, exactly what I was looking for as I make one dress each month of 2013 and was looking for something comfy + trying to work with knit fabric. And I agree with you 100%: dresses with large pockets are the best!

Unknown said...

Love the geometric fabric - do you stock it? And do you post internationally?

Maria Shell said...

I am interested in the black printed fabric also. Any hints on how to track it down? Thank you!

Ashleigh Dewitt said...

I love the green hemp one ahhh! Did you have to lengthen it at all? I like how it hits you both right above the knee instead of mid-thigh. More my style!