Friday, March 02, 2012

Better Know A Crafter: Melissa Miller

Melissa has been coming to our Open Spin night since it started last summer. She was spinning up a huge amount of beautiful merino silk on her Schacht Matchless wheel and it was such a pleasure hanging out and getting to know her. The yarn she was making was for a sweater for her mother. She just brought in the finished sweater and it is soo gorgeous! Melissa just moved away to Toronto, so she will be missed. Good luck Melissa -thanks for the inspiration!

Melissa Miller

 
 What kinds of crafts do you do?
In my grown up life, I am an epidemiologist, so I spend a lot of time with computers and numbers. In my free time, I spin, knit, weave, and quilt. I really enjoy getting to see what I make with my hands and its fun to be creative.

Tell us about making your sweater
I've been spinning for about 7 years, but this was my first big project. I spun about 25 ounces of singles and made a 4 ply yarn. I knit the yarn into a Beatnik (pattern), and I gave it to my mom.


How did you learn to knit?
I learned to spin a few years ago, but I've been knitting since I was 7 or 8. My mom taught me to knit, and so each year I thank her with a new sweater--she almost has a closet full.



What is your favorite animal?
Sheep, of course!

Thanks Melissa! Happy spinning and knitting!

No comments: