Thursday, May 13, 2010

Better Know A Crafter: Franki

Franki must be the most patient crafter of all time. Her beautiful lace knitting projects take upwards of 150 hours each to complete. She has taken these lace knitted tablecloth patterns, originally meant to be knitted with a size 2 needle and a very skinny yarn, and made them tiny intricate masterpieces that are knitted with the thinnest of thread on needles that measure 0.75 millimeters!

Franki


Tell us about yourself. What makes you want to craft?
By trade I am an office goddess. The rest of the time I read, write, garden and take pictures. My people have "smart hands" that itch to do things.


Tell us about your knitting project.
These are lace knitting--Neibling's Lyra (on purple), Goldregan (unmounted) and Kinzel's Daffodil (on blue). For Neibling's Lyra and Goldregan I used size 000 knitting needles and quilting thread. Kinzel's Daffodil uses 000000 knitting needles and 100/2 thread.


How long does it take you to complete one piece?
Depending on the compexity of the pattern, one to three months, knitting at least 3 hours a day.


How did you learn to knit?
I taught myself to knit when I was 10. I learned to quilt, sew and embroider from my mom, but never really glommed on to doing those crafts.

What is your favorite animal?
CATS!

Thanks Franki! Happy lace knitting!

No comments: