Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Meet the Designer: Latifah Saafir!

Modern quilter Latfiah Saafir is teaching at Fancy Tiger! We are so excited to host her for her Glam Clam quilting class Sunday August 24th. Latfiah has an eye for color and design! Her mechanical engineer brain operates perfectly into the quilting world bringing us such stylish looking quilts. Let's meet Latfiah! 

1) How did you get started in the quilting industry? What is your background?
I am a Mechanical Engineer by training but, I’ve been sewing since I was a kid. I worked in technology for many years and when I got laid off decided to try my hand at making a living with the true love of my life - quilting.



I actually started quilting in 2009 when I saw a quilt that a friend of mine made. Something about that quilt made something click in me and I decided not only could I quilt but that I needed to. Later that same year I co-founded the Modern Quilt Guild and it’s first chapter in Los Angeles with only one quilt under my belt. I have a tendency to dive in head first with things. Quilting has been my life ever since.


2) What are you most excited about in quilting right now?
As the generation of modern quilters becomes more competent in their technique, I’m looking forward to new innovations in quilting. I’m almost sure we’ll start to see some of this soon and bits and pieces are starting to filter through. Also, I’m very interested to see how modern quilting will grow over time.


I’m also excited about younger and younger people being interested in quilting and I’m dreaming of ways to introduce more of them to it in a way that is palatable and exciting to them.

3) What do you look for when you're fabric shopping?
I’ve never thought about that because I guess I just know it when I see it! I guess I look for uniqueness, clean lines, and bold designs. Mostly I buy really great basics though. And I’m always on the search for the perfect solid color! There are never enough solids. I also love sophisticated whimsical novelty prints for all the baby quilts that I make.


4) What is your favorite mythological animal?
Ummm, does Tinker Bell count? Hehe. I know she’s not mythological or quite an animal but, I wasn’t much into cartoons as a kid and fell in love with Tink just a year or so ago. If I were a cartoon character that’s who I’d be. She captures the engineering and creative sides of me and she wears my favorite color!


5) If you could have any super power, what would it be?
I’m sure you have all guessed that my super power would be quilt related.  My super power would be having my quilt tops quilted and bound with a wave of a wand. The wand is key. ☺ I actually like to take ownership of the whole quilt and so I don’t often send my quilts off to a long armer BUT, the most exciting part of the process is piecing and seeing the pattern come to life. Then I’m sorta done and have to force myself finish the quilt. ☺


Thanks Latifah! We can't wait to quilt magic with you! 

No comments: