Friday, July 11, 2014

Amber's Weathered Pullover

Every time Jaime and I shop the yarn trade show for beautiful yarns to carry, we can't help but be inspired by the amazing designers we meet. This past TNNA we met designer Ann Weaver, who is so very cool--and ingenious! She was sporting her Weathered Pullover design, a colorblocked summer top with a sheer panel insert worked in Habu silk/stainless steel.

Pattern: Weathered Pullover by Ann Weaver
Yarn: Fibre Co. Meadow in Black Adder (main color) and Habu A-20 silk/stainless in Brick (sheer panel)
Size made: 34
Alterations: I shortened the pattern by a few inches and knit the wool section in a single color instead of colorblocking it.

I've long been intrigued by Habu silk/stainless yarn and I instantly fell in love with this pattern's use of such an interesting yarn. The stainless steel gives the thread-thin silk enough structure to hold its dimensions under the weight of the wool yarn beneath it, creating a transparent panel with a hint of sheer color. Hot!


An awesome thing about this top--you can wear the sheer panel to the front or back for a different look! I love wearing the panel to the back for a slightly more modest, but still very hot look. To accentuate your pretty shoulder blades, ya know.


The main yarn called for in the Weathered Pullover is a light fingering merino/silk blend. I immediately knew the perfect substitution would be Meadow from The Fibre Co. This dreamy yarn is a blend of merino, llama, silk and linen. It's the perfect weight and has a beautiful rustic heathered look while still being ultra soft against the skin for easy wearability.


I chose to knit the wool part of my pullover entirely in the color Black Adder, instead colorblocking with multiple colors as the pattern is written. I kept some of the colorblock idea, going with a pop of brick red for my Habu yarn. The top is finished off with a very cute moss stitch shoulder detail. I love it so much, the way this thing turned out!


And to bring this happy knitting story to a close, this is the first handknit woolen item I've made that makes me feel like a real hot lady. Well done, Ann...well done.

No comments: