Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Lumpy Space! Stephen West KAL

Every summer Stephen West has a shawl KAL and I love joining in the fun! This year, instead of it being a mystery, it was for your choice of one of 3 different designs - each very Westknits-esque. I chose to make the Lumpy Space pattern - I love the elongated shape of this shawl and I couldn't resist the stripes!


Pattern: Lumpy Space by Stephen West
Yarns: a = Orkney Angora dk in neon peach, b = Lopi Einband in pale beige, c = Madelinetosh Dandelion in Nectar, d = Jill Draper Nimbus in Shell
Size made: one size
Alterations: none, although I ran out of my Nimbus yarn so I had to end a few rows early 


Lumpy Space uses four yarns. I decided to use up some stash yarns so I incorporated a couple of yarns I had picked up on my travels, making this an extra special shawl. The neon orange angora yarn was from Scotland and the Lopi laceweight was, of course, from Iceland. The Madelinetosh Dandelion was leftover from my recent Vasa tee and I just couldn't resist using some luxurious Jill Draper Nimbus - a laceweight blend of angora and silk.


In true Westknits fashion, I did some experimenting with various fiber types and weights. For the inner shape of orange and cream - it was a blend of super-soft angora mixed with super-tough lopi. I held the lopi laceweight double to keep up with the dk weight of the angora. The outer stripes are a mix of soft merino/linen and more angora. Here again, I held the laceweight Nimbus double to work better with the Dandelion and to add more angora halo!


I love the shape and size of this shawl. It can be wrapped around several times for extra neck-coziness and it is in-between a scarf and shawl shape - my favorite. I ran out of Nimbus towards the end so I'm short just a couple of stripes, but it is still a great size. I'll admit, I was cursing this pattern during the picot bind off of over 800 stitches, but I'm so glad I persevered! The contrast picot edge give the shawl an adorable frame that really takes it over the top.


Thanks, Stephen for another fun knit! Be sure to stop by the store today from 12 - 1:30 to meet Mr. West in person and see even more of his awesome designs.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Wow--I love the shape!!!