Friday, March 15, 2013

Jaime's Cardigan of the Month Club!

I'm not sure how, but this is my third knit cardigan in 3 months--cardigan crazy! My new Wispy Cardigan was started way back in 2011 when we first received the amazing rustic Shetland lace yarn from Elemental Affects. This is one of my favorite yarns of all time - US grown and milled, over-dyed natural heather grey, and hardy Shetland wool all in a rustic spun, 2-ply lace yarn. Yumtown.


Despite this cardigan taking 2 years, it really knit up quickly once I gave it my attention. The Wispy pattern is from Hannah Fettig who makes beautiful and classic yet interesting patterns. I loved it. The unique construction has you knit the arms first, side to side and across the back - how fabulous to get the dreaded sleeves out of the way in the beginning!


I made a few modifications to this pattern. First, my gauge was a little off so I just tried it on as I went to make sure it was fitting. The amazingly talented Angelique who works here at Fancy Tiger Crafts made this a while back and suggested that I try a twisted rib stitch instead of regular ribbing at the cuffs, neck and waist. I love the more textual look of this stitch.


This cardigan will be my new go-to cardigan for warmer spring days and cool summer nights - it is light with just the right amount of woolly coverage. It looks great over all of my Wiksten tanks!


Each skein of Shetland Lace comes with 740 yards so I only used one skein for this entire cardigan! I loved working with this yarn so much, I'm already eyeing some Brooklyn Tweed lace shawl patterns for a new project.


Our brand new Anzula Breeze yarn would also make a lovely summer Wispy if you're looking for something a little less woolly for your creation. The silk/linen blend would be perfect for this design.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks so great!