Thursday, January 12, 2012

Better Know A Crafter: Melissa & Ting Lester

Melissa is an amazing knitter and her daughter, Ting, is a totally adorable knitwear model. Ting is pretty proud of her knitting designer mom--she spun around the store showing us this tweedy sweater coat that her mom designed. So cute!


Melissa & Ting Lester


What do you do?
I work in Earth Science publishing but I would really love to be a knitwear designer! I love designing my own sweaters, but I can't seem to actually write down what I do...yet. I learned to knit when I was 16, but I only recently picked it up again when I found Ravelry.

Tell us about the two sweaters you've made!
I'm wearing Warriston by Kate Davies, which I just finished. It's made with 2 skeins of Cascade Eco+. I wear it just about every day. My daughter is wearing something I designed, Pipit Sweater Coat (free on Ravelry), made with Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed.


How did you learn to be such an amazing knitter?
My mom taught me to knit, her mom taught her. I went to boarding school, so I'd knit till I ran into a problem--like a dropped stitch--and I'd put it down until I went home for Thanksgiving or the next holiday. It was slow going.

What is your favorite animal?
Naked mole rat--I want to knit them sweaters!

Thanks Melissa and Ting! Happy knitting!

1 comment:

bunchofbeets said...

Ooooh! While I really love Ting's sweater, Melissa's is great too. Is there a pattern for that one too?