Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Jess is a Crafting Maniac

Our dear Jess has moved to LA. An inspiring crafter and super-fun gal, Jess has been a big part of Fancy Tiger and we will miss her so! We asked Jess to share some of the many things she has made in the last year and, man, has she been busy! Enjoy!

Boy oh boy! Where do I start? I am surrounded by inspiring people on a daily basis and working at Fancy Tiger has given me such a creative outlet. From customers projects, to being able to take the amazing classes offered here, my brain is always spinning with what I can make next.

While on the move last year (traveling through Asia) I knew I needed something to keep me busy. Something small and that would take me a while to make - what better than the Whisper Cardigan in lace weight yarn!? This was my first time working with lace weight yarn and only my second sweater. I used Malabrigo lace and I must say, I'm quite impressed with my sweater. This little dream traveled with me to 9 different countries and for sure kept me busy.


When I arrived back in the states, I decided that with 2 sweaters under my belt it was time for me to make my very first hat! I found the Star Crossed Slouchy Beanie pattern on Ravelry and instantly fell in love. This was also my first cabled project. Everything went smoothly and I love my little red hat =)


I couldn't resist making myself a new phone cozy. I used some self striping yarn and whipped this bad boy up in no time!


Who could't use another school house tunic?! I adore this pattern! I decided to add a little tie along the waist. I am so happy I did. It gives a little more shape to the shirt and is quite flattering. 


This blog post is for sure a lot of firsts for me. I was able to build my knitting and sewing skills through all the incredible people working and involved with Fancy Tiger. 
I have only been knitting for 2 years! Next up, the Hendreary hat by the lovely Ysolda Teague. This my friends, was my very first color work project!  I had a deadline to make this hat by TNNA so I could show it off to Ysolda. I think I nailed it.


Check it out! This beaut was made in the Seger 201 Cowl class this winter at Fancy Tiger. Sarah, our amazing sewing instructor, morphed this pattern from being made entirely on a sewing machine, to only using a serger. This was my first garment made with a serger. I have to say, I loved it! Most of the employees have one of these, so it is quite common for a co-worker to be wearing theirs when I wear mine. Did I mention how cozy it is?!


Do you see my hands getting busy in that picture above?! I was so inspired from Angelique and Amber's Aidez sweaters that I just had to make one myself. This was a huge under taking for me, but I was determined to do it, and in just 6 weeks! Imperial Stock Ranch, Colombia yarn had been calling my name and I finally found the right project for it.  I started this in the beginning of February and wanted to have it finished by March, giving myself time to wear it before summer. I was a little worker bee buzzin this sweater out. I am so proud of this and the way it came out.  I had never done cables on such a large scale, nor had I done a sweater in parts. I LOVED making this! It was so much fun to follow the cable patterns and by making it in parts you get instant gratification of each part. I decided instead of knitting the sleeves flat and seaming them together, I would knit them in the round. I didn't run into any problems and I'm so happy I did that. Although, I do have to say my seams are close to perfect. Thank you mattress stitch.


Say whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?! All my dreams came true!! On the Holiday blog Staff Picks, I wished for the Iphone4 cross stitch case. Someone was paying attention (thanks boyfriend!) It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to make. I am finding a lot of inspiration from the 70's. So I looked up 70's wallpaper designs and fell in love with this one. I will tell you that this is a commitment. Those little holes don't cross-stitch themselves people! This took me quite sometime, but boy am I glad I finished!


Twins! 
It was my last week at Fancy Tiger, and I was so inspired to make a new tank top for my big move to LA. I made my Wiksten Tank out of voile and convinced Jaime I needed a pocket out of Liberty. She happily obliged. Jaime and I wanted to bust this shirt out in just an hour. I was quite impressed with our determination. This shirt is made with french seams, which we were kind of afraid of. They were so simple and now we have beautiful shirts with enclosed seams. 


Happy crafting to all of you!

No comments: