Thursday, October 14, 2010

Better Know A Crafter: Sophia Sokolowski

Sophia is a darling, dear friend and has been crafting with us at our Tuesday night craft night since the early days. She is a whiz at knitting, sewing, embroidery and just about anything crafty that she picks up. Within a few days of each other she finished these two sweet shirts!

Sophia Sokolowski


1) What inspires your crafty nature?
I work at a thrift store, so there is always something at work to inspire me--from awesome vintage clothing to handmade objects that people have donated.

2) Tell us about the two projects you've made.
The first is the Liverpool Tunic pattern by Amy Butler. I made it in an Echino fabric. This tunic took me three days to sew over the course of a few weeks--one day to cut out the pattern and mark the fabric, another to sew up the main panels and collar and a final day to finish. When I bought the pattern I thought the darts would be the hardest part, but they turned out to be the easiest. The sleeves and collar turned out to be the most challenging bits, but after a lot of pinning and sewing and ripping I finally got everything to work. This was my first attempt at sewing a shirt and I am so excited to wear it to work tomorrow!

For my embroidered deer shirt I got a simple blouse from the thrift store and used a Sublime Stitching pattern to improve it by 150%! I feel like the two colors keep it simple and quick--this project only took me one craft night!

3) How did you learn to be so crafty?
My mom taught me to embroider when I was very small, but I've not worked with it much until recently. My mom is awesome with embroidery, she is always making little gifts for people with it.

4) What is your favorite animal?
Kittens! And Queen Victoria!!

Thanks Sophia! Happy sewing!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

love the embroidery! thats awesome :)
can't wait to take a class on it!

Anonymous said...

Such great photos of Sophia. I am so proud of her crafting skills, and so happy she (and I) has Fancy Tiger in her life

Rita aka Sophia's mom

Katrin said...

Love the deer! I miss Sophia. And Fancy Tiger. And even Denver, sometimes.

Nicole Hess said...

The shirt with the Sublime Stitching pattern is- well, sublime. And just lovely in general. Nice work!

Kim said...

what great projects! the embroidery design is so fun & unique. way to go sophia! :)

can't wait to participate in these craft nights when we move to boulder/denver area in december!

Unknown said...

These are GREAT I can't wait to see more crafts by Sophia!! She is such an inspiration...Trina Medina