Friday, February 01, 2013

Caitlin's Socialite-a-rama

Hello!  Caitlin here...as some of you may know, my specialty is garment sewing!  I love creating versatile clothing that can dressed up or down.  As we saw with Miranda's dress project, it's nice to find a go-to pattern that you know fits and can be a staple in your wardrobe.  For Miranda, it's Built By Wendy's dirndl dress; for me, it's Anna Maria Horner's Socialite dress! 

The first Socialite I stitched up was made with this sweet rose print by Heather Ross.  Turns out, Jaime and I think alike!



Then I realized it would be perfect as a top!  I chopped off the pattern at the pockets and made a cute top with this Anna Maria Horner voile. 


This top has been well loved, so when I spotted this beautiful Liberty print, I knew I needed to make another!  It's perfect dressed down with jeans and a cardigan, dressed up with a nice pencil skirt, and even with shorts in the summer!  I absolutely love the Socialite Dress pattern! 


My advice to you:  don't be restricted by the pattern in the envelope.  Maybe a dress can become a top, or vice versa.  A shirt can easily become sleeveless, and sleeves can be added to a tank.  Find your go-to pattern, make it your own, and your handmade wardrobe will grow faster than you ever expected!

If you want to see more of my crafty projects, check out my blog at www.sparrowsandspools.blogspot.com!

No comments: