Thursday, March 31, 2011

Jaime's Tula Pink Quilt

There are great fabrics that come out all the time, but rarely are we blown away by an entire collection. For me this happened with Tula Pink's Parisville collection for Freespirit that came out at the end of last year. This collection was just begging to be made up into a quilt!


I wanted to do something that showcased all the fabrics so I used one Parisville fat-quarter bundle to make this queen sized quilt. At the time, I was in a crafting frenzy, whipping up tons of handmade gifts for the holidays every free moment. One Sunday, I channeled this creative energy to create the top for this quilt. It only took a couple of hours to make! All I did was cut the fat quarters down from 18" x 22" to 18" squares, cutting a 4" strip off of each one. Then I laid the squares out on my living room floor to come up with the perfect combination, which ended up to be totally random.


I pieced my 4" leftover strips together to make two stripes on the back of the quilt. I even had enough strips to make two pillowcases that match the quilt perfectly. For the binding, I went with one of the new Jay McCarroll polka dots, which coordinates great with the Parisville fabrics. I chose a basic stippling pattern for the quilting and used a nice, soft cotton batting.


Yay! Now I have an awesome quilt for lazing about in parks on sunny spring days! Dusty the Skye Terrier loves hanging out on it as well...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! What an inspiration to go for it and make a quilt. . .

Andréa said...

I've been tossing around the idea of trying to make my first quilt. I second Kelli; this may just be my inspiration!

Rockquelle, the Rollergirl Next Door said...

Beautiful, and so easy. <3

mimi deluxe said...

WOW!!!! So beautiful!!! Makes me want to quilt again! Thank you for the inspiration!

Kari V. said...

I love how the simple quilt really lets the fabric shine. That color palette is just awesome.