Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Better Know A Crafter: Taryn Leigh Slawson

Taryn came into Fancy Tiger wearing the cutest of cute dresses. We recognized the fabric, but not the sewing pattern. That's because the dress is a Taryn original! Nice job, crafty lady.

Taryn Leigh Slawson


1) Tell us a little about yourself.
I make one of a kind clothes for girls who want to have fun, don't care and want to stand out. My designs play with pattern and color and the unconventional combination of the two. I also design pattern and print for textiles and other surfaces. This is my latest pursuit and is still in the works. Everything from music to the sky makes me want to be crafty. Everything that I do is a craft in some form or another - some might say I am a crafty sparkly unicorn.

2) Tell us about your adorable dress.

I made this dress for myself and for my line Chasing Rainbows. The fabric I used for the bodice is from Fancy Tiger, everything else I used was random.The dress is made from a pattern that I draped and then drafted by hand. I make all my own patterns.

3) How did you learn to do what you do?
I had an interest in fashion design from a young age. I went to college and earned a degree in apparel design and production. I interned and apprenticed with British designer Sue Stemp in NYC. I learned a great deal from Sue, but mainly I teach myself. My whole design process is very unconventional and usually doesn't even make sense to me. The obstacles I encounter provide me with the opportunity to take my designs in a whole new direction.

4) What is your favorite animal?
The elephant.

Thanks Taryn! Happy sewing!

1 comment:

messy lulu said...

oohh i love the dress! does taryn have a website that i can check out?!